Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Celebromancy

Title: Celebromancy
Author:  Michael R. Underwood
Genre:  Sci Fi and Fantasy
Publisher:  Pocket Star
Publish Date:  July 15, 2013
Pages:  Kindle edition: 310
ISBN:  9781451698145
Obtained:  Free review copy and bought on Amazon (a bit of a mix up on my part. Though I'm not sorry as I'm only too glad to give this author my finical support.)
Synopsis: Fame has a magic all its own in the no-gossip-barred follow-up to Geekomancy. Ree Reyes gets her big screenwriting break, only to discover just how broken Hollywood actually is.

Things are looking up for urban fantasista Ree Reyes. She’s using her love of pop culture to fight monsters and protect her hometown as a Geekomancer, and now a real-live production company is shooting her television pilot script.

But nothing is easy in show business. When an invisible figure attacks the leading lady of the show, former child-star-turned-current-hot-mess Jane Konrad, Ree begins a school-of-hard-knocks education in the power of Celebromancy.

Attempting to help Jane Geekomancy-style with Jedi mind tricks and X-Men infiltration techniques, Ree learns more about movie magic than she ever intended. She also learns that real life has the craziest plots: not only must she lift a Hollywood-strength curse, but she needs to save her pilot, negotiate a bizarre love rhombus, and fight monsters straight out of the silver screen. All this without anyone getting killed or, worse, banished to the D-List.


I am one of those people who is proud to call myself geek. If it falls in the realm of media geekery I've probably had my fingers in it or at the very least know something of it. I wouldn't call myself the ultimate geek of course. Though I if geekomancy actually existed like in this book series I would like to think I'd be a pretty good Geekomancer.

Now when I got this book I was unaware that this was the second book in the “Ree Reyes” series. I'll be remedying missing the first book soon. In any case, despite diving in mid series I caught up to speed fairly quick. And one of the things I loved instantly for this book and series is the magic system. This is a world where if one is a Geekomancer their love of geeky media fuels magic abilities (watch the Matrix and gain bullet time abilities for a short while.) and a simple show prop (sonic screwdriver anyone?) can become an actually weapon.

Magic system aside, I love the adorably funny character of Ree Reyes. She is a character I can love and root for in her trials to fight evil and maybe figure out her love life. Said love life by the way while mentioned and the catalyst for the plot is not the bulk of the story. Which is refreshing.

This book was a wonderful ride from beginning to show stopping conclusion. I'll be getting the first and reading any future books.

Rating: 10 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment